SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mc_hudd

House plants outdoors & Peace Lily ?'s

mc_hudd
14 years ago

Hello everyone, hope you're having a good summer so far. I have a couple of questions for you:

1) I have a few of my house plants that I've moved outside for the summer & they are loving it! There's only 1 problem... I also have kittens & they are using my plants that are in large pots for a litter box! I have tried crushed red pepper, but this didn't deter the kittens at all... I quit doing that b/c it wasn't working & I wasn't sure what too much pepper would do to the plants. I was also told by someone to take plastic forks & stick into the soil & the prickly points of the forks would make it an un-inviting place to be... This also didn't work! Maybe I didn't put in enough forks, but I put in a lot, so I think these kittens are just brats! I found a product at Walmart called "Critter Ridder" it says it's safe for dogs & cats, & will deter wild animals such as racoons, squirrels, etc... Has anyone ever used this? I'm always leary of things like this b/c I don't want to harm my plants or my kittens. I would love to hear if anyone has had experience using this or if there is something else I could use.

2) I have a Peace Lily that I got in Feb. It's doing very well & was potted up probably in April sometime. I have it in one of the self-watering pots (I don't use this method for watering it though). When I water it, I take the bottom saucer off & drench it in my sink or bathtub. Recently I noticed that there are roots growning out of the bottom of the pot. What should I do about this? Does it need to be potted up again? I hate to take it out to see if it's rootbound & disturb it if it doesn't need repotted. Should I just take it out & reposition the bottom roots in more soil? If it is left alone what will this do to the plant? I love this plant so much, but I know they can be picky, so I don't want to disturb it anymore than I have to.

Thanks for any replies in advance!

~Shannon

Comments (5)