SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mladams_gw

Foxtail Fern Questions

mladams
10 years ago

I recently purchased a foxtail fern at a local nursery. When I brought it home I took it out of the plastic pot it was in and put it in a ceramic pot with a hole in the bottom to keep indoors. I thought I could break up the root ball but decided against it since the roots were very well packed. I've been watering it once every few days but the water mostly just runs out the bottom of the pot. It gets sunlight from the windows it's near only in early morning, after about noon there's no direct sunlight in the windows.

When I received it I pruned off the dead growth and continued to water it when it felt dry. My issue is that I keep noticing more of the growths are turning yellow and dying. It's not real fast but it seems like the internal growths keep dying on me. I don't know if I'm not watering it enough, if it has too much/little sunlight, or if the pot isn't big enough. I would repot it in new soil but I don't know how to break up the root ball because it is extremely tightly packed.

Any help someone may be able to provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

Comments (4)