SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theficuswrangler

repotting a foxtail fern ( a.densiflorus 'myeri')

The Ficus Wrangler
11 years ago

I recently acquired a potted foxtail fern that is severely rootbound. The top of the soil is covered with tuber-like structures, ranging in size from olives to pecans. Should these be removed when repotting? Buried? I plan to cut the root mass into 2 or 3 sections, root prune, and plant in gritty mix.

Comments (8)

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Hi TFW. What size is the current pot?
    Foxtails grow large, take a LOT of space.

Have a picture?

If you'd like your new Foxtail to grow larger, repot in a bigger container.

If you want to keep your Foxtail 'x' size, remove and divide.

Don't discard tubers..yep, when you repot tubers should be buried.

Last fall, 'because of space,' I divided Foxtail and Ming Ferns which were terribly root-bound.
    Wait until you 'attempt' removing from container..Eat your spinach first..lol.

Because I ran out of soil, Foxtail was repotted in 'mostly/98%' bark. Only problem is bark dries faster so Foxtail and Mings need more water. Or I should say, watered more often than plants in soil mediums.

BTW, I had to 'saw' roots in thirds. So, good luck dividing. Toni

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

As hopeful said, don't remove the tubers, they are apart of the plant/root system.

Planto

• PRO
    The Ficus Wrangler
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Toni. I was expecting to saw, got my new hand saw all ready. It's direct potted into a terracotta pot about 8" diam, hoping to get it out without breaking the pot.. it should be glorious fun. All I've got right now for taking pics is my phone, which doesn't do very well. Maybe I'll give it a shot anyway.

Thanks Planto, also. I thought they were integral parts of the system, just wanted to make sure.

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

You're welcome. :)

• PRO
    The Ficus Wrangler
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh yea Toni, I meant to ask you, is a Ming Fern the same as a Ming Aralia? If not, what is it? Never heard the term before.

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

theficuswrangler,
    Sorry to be answering for Toni, but I looked both Ming Fern and Ming Aralia (did a google image search) and Ming Fern appears to be another form of Asparagus Fern (related to yours). I like it, I've never seen one before, and like you, never heard of one before.

Planto

• slawsatya62
    6 years ago

I have a very large Ming Fern and have divided once. It was hard. I want to divide again as it is 4’tall and 3’ wide. I love it. I have other ferns and have kept them over winter in North Carolina. So sawing straight through the fern. Does that damage some of the fern? It is beautiful thanks

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations