SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenfanatic2003

Root pruning Asparagus densiflorus 'Myers' (foxtail fern)?

A couple of years ago I repotted my foxtail fern because the roots were bulging out of their pot. I put it in a larger pot, but the top growth doesn't match the root growth. The reason why is because in the winter the fronds dry out and die, presumably because of the dry air in the house. So it's overall size never gets any fuller - a frond dries up, then a new one grows, repeat, etc. It gets fuller in the summer when it's outside, but then many of those fronds dry up over the winter.

Anyway, to get to the point, the plant looks ridiculous because the pot it's in looks too big for the top growth. I'd like to take it out of that pot (which isn't going to be easy due to the bulging roots), cut back the roots to be more in proportion with the top growth, and put it in a smaller pot. I wish I had thought about cutting back the roots a couple years ago when I repotted it.

Anything I need to be aware of before cutting back the roots of this plant? Also - what about possibly dividing it into more than one plant?

Deanna

Comments (9)