SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lsoh_ohzone5

What's destroying my strawberries? (Picture)

lsoh
13 years ago

The leaves of my strawberry plants are being destroyed. The leaf material is disappearing, leaving only the leaf's veins. The material first disappears from the edges, as if it's being eaten. But then I noticed light spots on the interior of the leaves. Those light spots become holes. I looked for bugs. Saw normal garden spiders, one small ant, and one very tiny red critter that looked like it was a spider.

These strawberries are in 8" pvc towers. That is I have a set of pvc pipes standing on end. The berries are planted in a series of holes along the sides.

The towers are an experiment. Last year the plants looked lush and healthy. Leafed out enough that I couldn't see the tower through the foliage. Because this is an experiment, I have a number of different varieties and soil mixes including Al's gritty mix and Al's 5:1:1 mix. Some towers still have last year's plants and some have new mixes with new plants from this year. Pretty much all my plants are losing their leaves.

Any idea what the problem is?

Any solutions? Most have small strawberries on them now. Can I implement solutions and still eat the fruit. (Even if I can't eat the fruit, I'd like to save the plant.)

I'm attempting to include a photo. {{gwi:104969}}

Comments (4)