SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ctnewbie08

Please help - my garden is being destroyed!

ctnewbie08
15 years ago

This is only my second year growing vegetables in containers and so I appreciate any advice I can get!

Just a little background on my garden. I live in Bermuda (not sure which zone that is, but it's a sub-tropical island 600 miles off the coast of North Carolina), my containers sit on a concrete patio where they get plenty of sun and some shade. In each of my pots I used a combination of organic soil mix (can't recall the name), compost and Perlite.

I began planting in mid-January and at first everything seemed to be growing. Then, 2 weeks after planting I noticed the leaves on my tomato and basil plants were almost entirely chewed up and my spinach & radishes were nothing but stems. I'm also growing salad lettuce (Bibb & some other mixture) and the leaves on all of those plants are jagged and dotted with holes. I have an herb pot full of 7 different herbs and strangely all but the sage have been left alone.

I went to our local garden nursery and they suggested I was in the midst of a slug invasion. I bought slug pellets and they seemed to work, but I couldn't be sure. My plants didn't look any worse, but they sure didn't look any better. Then we got tons and tons of rain (common during this time of year here) and the pots were overly moist and the pellets that were sitting around the perimeter inside of the pots began to turn mildewy. I removed the pellets and now it looks like the slugs are back. But I question if my problem is really slugs. We have TONS of birds living on the roof adjacent to our patio and I see them sitting on my tomato cages all the time. Would birds eat all those plants?

One other problem I'm having is gnats. I'm growing strawberries and whenever I look around in the pot and move the plants I see gnats crawling around and flying out. Even though I'm a novice gardener, I don't think this is normal, right?

I'm wondering if I should dig up my tomato plants. They look absolutely awful and after nearly 7 weeks they haven't grown much at all. They have bits of chewed up leaves on them and a bunch of blunt stubs. Worst of all the stems are totally floppy. They bend so easily and are very droopy.

I think everything is getting enough water as I'm very diligent about watering when it hasn't rained. If anything I wonder if they are too hydrated?

I want to post pictures - I have plenty, but I have no idea how to do this, can anyone help with that too?

THANK YOU to anyone who responds!!! After all that hard work I am just so bummed to see my garden going down the tubes. In this economy I'm trying to save my family a few dollars by growing our own food, but at this rate it's costing me to keep it alive!

Comments (22)