SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marymilwwi

please help - advice needed for replacing pear tree

marymilwwi
16 years ago

This week my neighbor's tree service accidentally cut down the wrong tree, and cut down my Clapp's Favorite which I planted along with a Bartlett in 1994. Ouch!! They offered to replace it and I asked that as long as a new tree needed to be brought in I'd like to replace it with a different variety. I love the taste of Flemish Beauty and would enjoy planting that but they have not been of help in locating one and found a Clapp's Favorite to replace it. It is on hold at a nursery, and is established tho not as big as mine was. Both are semi-dwarfs. I have spent hours on the web and phone trying to locate a Flemish Beauty but can only find one nursery within driving distance (I'm willing to drive an hour or two from the Milwaukee WI area) that has dwarf and standard bare root (they report they have not come out of dormancy), and one standard probably potted from bare root a few weeks ago, which is leafing out. I would like to put in something that can provide pollination for the Bartlett, but it sure would be nice to have a F.B.

Its already in the hi 60's & lo 70's and has reached 80 so I don't know whether its worth the gamble of trying bare root. Even if I did, would a dwarf provide decent pollination, since I'm told a standard would take ~5 years to do that? Does anyone know of any nursery or garden center anywhere in the vicinity that has F.B. in containers rather than bare root? I've been puzzling over this conundrum a few days and would much appreciate any thoughts or advice! Thanks!

Comments (8)