SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tumbleweed908

Need Help with Bare Root Cleveland Pear trees

tumbleweed908
14 years ago

Hi guys,

I'm seeking advise and or help with my cleveland pear trees. I seem to be another person who has purchased bare root trees from Willis orchards without researching this company first.

Last Feb, I received two cleveland pear trees, each was approx 7 ft tall. I thought I followed all of the planting instructions (came with minimal at best) that I could find with no luck. These two trees never produced the first leaf.

This company did replace these two trees and they were planted about 2-3 weeks ago in the same spot. I am wondering if there is any advise or help out there to help me avoid another set of dead cleveland pear trees. My neighbor's Bradford pears are starting to bloom and I am not seeing any activity similar in mine. My replacements are the same size as before and they are still green (scratch test).

I felt that last time I might have over watered so this time I am watering approx every 5-6 days depending on the moisture provided with the weather. Great care was taken while planting these guys assuring that the roots were well surrounded with no air pockets. The trees were dormant upon arrival and were planted two days after they arrived. I cleaned the roots to remove the packing material well and then let them soak in water for about 5 hours before planting this time around.

I was reading in some of the Oklahoma forums on this site about somewhat similar issues. Some saying that a pear tree might be hard to break out of dormancy? should I consider digging them up and sweating them? Or is it too early to do this (planted 2-3 weeks ago)? Any help or advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments (5)