SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buehl

Cleveland Pears...need information help!

Buehl
16 years ago

I'm new to the Trees forum so please bear with me if I use incorrect terminology or seem to be asking a "dumb" question... :-)

A Board member of our Home Owner's Association has some Cleveland Pear trees he wants to plant on a community lot.

Background: The lot is very close to the entrance to our neighborhood and is vacant (by design). It is mowed 2x per month April/May through September/October (depending on weather). Our neighborhood of 57 homes is in a fairly rural area and our intent is to keep the rural aspect of the surrounding area (large horse farm across the street, state park on another side, working farms on other two sides.)

We are in Maryland, between Baltimore and Frederick. Soil in our area is clay and rainfall is sometimes plentiful, sometimes not (like this year). Right now we are in a moderate-to-severe drought.

So...I have read on this site that Cleveland Pears are problematical. I have seen comments about their scent, their possible invasive nature, and the potential, while less than Bradfords, to split in high winds. Our summers frequently have fast moving, severe thunderstorms with wind gusts 30-40mph and the occasional remnants of hurricanes.

The Board member has stated:

"...If you go to naturehills.com on the web and look at their information on the Cleveland pear, it appears that this tree is particularly well suited for our situation.

In particular, it is drought and heat resistant and has superior branch structure. In addition, it is very tolerant to heavy clay soils which we are "blessed" wtih in our neighborhood. ..."

The site he references is a nursery that sells these trees...so I don't altogether trust what they say (after all, they're trying to sell them!) They state:

"...The Cleveland Select flowering pear tree, Pyrus calleryana, 'Cleveland Select', has more blooms than any other flowering pear tree. Theres nothing more beautiful in spring than a flowering pear tree covered in snowy white blooms. Cleveland Select pear trees display evenly branched limbs with pyramidal form. This deciduous tree is a vigorous growing medium sized tree with masses of white flowers in spring.

This is an excellent street tree with beautiful purplish-red fall color. It has an attractive upright oval form and glossy green leaves. The Cleveland Select Pear reaches a height of 30 feet and width of 15 feet. This pear has a superior branch structure that withstands ice and wind damage better than the Bradford Pear. It is fruitless and has few pest problems. It tolerates urban conditions, and heavy clay soils."

Unfortunately, the rest of the Board has a tendency to do things on the fly (no research, etc.) so they're saying go ahead as long as this other member takes care of them until they're established. I'm the lone voice crying in the wilderness saying "wait! let's look into this!"

So, why this long-winded post? If indeed these trees are a problem and we should not do this, I need reliable sources to back up my position. Can anyone help me with this?

TIA!

Comments (23)