SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bart1_gw

Do pears need spraying with pesticides and fungicides?

bart1
12 years ago

Every year it seems I get a little more knowledgeable on fruit growing, yet somehow I also get a little more confused! I was reading some old Gardenweb printouts that I had from 2006 (the threads are no longer in the system) and there was a thread asking if it was possible to get fruit in the Mid Atlantic region without spraying. The thread covered lots of fruit, but one line by Jellyman really stood out. He wrote:

"Asian Pears require no spraying, since there are so many fruits on the trees that the few damaged ones can be removed by thinning. European pears are also a low/no spray fruit, but can be attached by plum curculio early in the season. Once again, the damaged fruits can be removed by thinning and the others will normally be ok for the balance of the season with no further spraying."

I have a bunch of questions and they are all for both Asian and European pears:

(I'm in the Mid Atlantic/Northern VA)

1) Does either type of pear require any fungicide spraying?

2) After doing a spray or two early in the season for Plum Curculio, can I stop spraying pesticides?

3) If I do stop spraying pesticides, do I have to bag the fruit? (previously, I've been spraying then bagging)

4) Does the introduction of Stink Bugs change any of Jellyman's advice from 2006?

I've very excited about the thought about not having to bag my pears, but I don't want to lose an entire season's worth of fruit if I'm missing something in Jellyman's comment. If I understand him correctly, I can spray once or twice after petal fall and not worry about anything else (except for thinning) for the rest of the season. Is that correct?

Thanks!

Bart

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting