SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anney_gw

Your corn husking & silking tips?

anney
15 years ago

Corn -- I've spent about three hours this afternoon husking, silking, cutting it off the cob, vacuum packing, and freezing it.

Here is how I did it:

Out on the deck, though the wasps were very interested in my work! I just threw the husks on the deck, which I picked up later for the mulch pile and let the silks blow away.

I used a sharp meat cleaver to cut the ends off right at the bottom of the kernels. Did it by feel, placed the cleaver at the base of the kernels and whacked them both down onto a clean board to avoid cutting a finger off! The closer you get to the bottom of the kernels, the more outer husks come off with the bottom. Did the same thing to the tops, again by feeling for where the kernels begin.

Then removed the rest of the husks and the silks. The silks come off more easily when you rub the corn sideways instead of trying to remove them from the cob starting at the top, though when you husk them, you can get many of the silks with your thumb that show right under the last husk.

Then on to cutting the corn off the cobs. I use a sharp knife and remove the kernels and scrape the cobs, too. Keeping it flat against the cob when started prevents cutting too deeply and getting a layer of cob in the corn. (I ended up throwing away a "corn cutter" I bought because the blade was too dull and there was no way to sharpen it because it's curved.)

The rest was quick. I'll use the eight cups that came from this batch for creamed corn this winter. Much more corn to go!

=====

Any suggestions for making the job go faster? Has anybody found a decent gadget for cutting the kernels off the cob?

Comments (14)