SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bsntech

Silver Queen Corn Very Tall - Pollen Falling Before Silks Emerge

bsntech
13 years ago

OK - so I had this exact same problem last year with Peaches & Cream corn. I thought it was because I planted the Peaches & Cream corn late in the season - just about this same time last year is when it went into the ground.

This year I planted Silver Queen corn at the beginning of the season. The plants are well over seven feet tall now. I am also growing Sugar Dots corn in a new bed that is just beside the Silver Queen corn (apparently the soil in there must not be good - or I have bad seed because the stalks are 3 feet tall with not many ears).

The tassels seem to have about half of their pollen shed already. There are some stalks with three leaves coming out of the crotch of a leaf on the main stalk - which means an ear of corn should emerge there. Well, absolutely no silks have come out yet and the leaves in that area are getting huge..

Is it possible to have too much phosphorous/potassium in the soil that would cause this? This soil is a year old now so I know it cannot be too much nitrogen because I do not fertilize (except spraying compost tea on the leaves of all plants). The soil in this bed is the same soil that was in the Peaches & Cream corn bed last year which were both made and filled at the same time with the same compost/horse manure mixture from the compost facility.

It is just depressing; I have these HUGE stalks of corn with two or more areas on each stalk where it appears an ear should emerge - but the pollen is already half-way shed without any silk coming out.

I'll post some pictures later (I do have some up on my site now but it doesn't show any close-ups) - but is there anything at all that the members here can think of that would cause such lush growth without putting on silk? Like I said, I don't think it is nitrogen because the soil is a year old and would have mostly lost the nitrogen already. Phosphorous/Potassium levels were tested last year and were at least four times over the optimal requirements for plants.

Thank you all!

Here is a link that might be useful: BsnTech Gardening Blog

Comments (8)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES