SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amany_gw

Ugliest, Most Pitiful Peace Lily Ever

amany
17 years ago

This weekend I took possession of a peace lily. The woman that had it is moving and didn't want to chance taking it with her. She said it was a large, cool looking peace lily. I had already affirmed to myself and to my husband that I would not take in anymore plants. I'm almost at 100 now. But who can pass on a big, beautiful peace lily?

I got to the lady's home to pick up the peace lily and it was the ugliest plant I'd ever seen in person. Part of me wanted to turn around and walk away. The other part of me - the plant lover - saw possibility. So I took it. I wish I had taken a picture of it before I unpotted it. Almost half of the leaves were brown. Some of the leaves had been chewed on by a cat. The soil was horribly compacted. There were inches and inches of bare, brown stem at the bottom were leaves had once been. On my way out, the lady said to me, "Oh, I just love peace lilies!" Yikes! lol My husband wanted to find the nearest dumpster and pitch it. He couldn't believe I was going to take it home. I had to promise to wash it off and unpot it outside to make sure there were no pests.

So here's my main question...

It's about the bare stems. Each piece of the peace lily (there are four) has 5 - 6 inches of bare stem at the bottom. When I repotted I buried those bare stems in the soil. Was that the right thing to do? Should I have let them sit on top of the soil? When I picked up the plant they were exposed on the outside. Please give me your input.

Thanks.

Amanda

Comments (15)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH