SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
morphinization

Peace lily and anthurium care tips: watering and cutting properly

morphinization
8 years ago

I have a few peace lilies of varying sizes. I love them as they show when they need water by drooping. However, I have always preferred watering from the bottom and letting them soak it up from the roots, whereas most guides I've found say to completely saturate the plant from the top and let the water run out. Is this the proper method? Would my plants do better if I did this? I've always had difficulty with watering plants, I tended to over-water them before I got peace lilies.

Another issue I have is when to cut brown flowers and how. Do you cut them when the flower starts browning or once the entire thing (including stem) is dry and brown? I have read here and there that the reason for cutting these brown flowers is so that the plant doesn't expend energy for the dying part. Secondly, I can never get very close to the base to cut them off, as the flowers pop out of a curled part of the green stem from which the leaves grow. Is it ok to get as far as possible to the bottom (which tends to be about 6 inches above soil).

I also have two anthurium plants. They get a bit less light than my peace lilies but they seem to be doing great. However, they don't really droop, so I never know when to water them.. I had a tiny brown tip on a leaf here and there which I think would mean that I am watering them a bit too little, but I'm very afraid of over watering. Should I just feel if their roots are dry and water them when they're too dry?

Lastly, I try to keep them sprayed with some water once a week (over the leaves/flowers) and my house temperature is about 21 degrees Celsius and gets a lot of light (but not sunlight). Are there any other tips regarding fertilizer and positioning/spraying/cleaning? I have tended to have a bad history with most plants but I am very interested in learning and having the flourish.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting