SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Did I do something wrong?

meyermike_1micha
16 years ago

Please tell me if I was in the wrong?

I have been buying plants at my local nursery for years and as of last year, when I started to learn about pests and the kind of things to watch for when purchasing them, I began to watch the quality of their plants more closley.

Well I bought 3 Citrus from them last December, and witin 3 weeks of having them, they broke out in mites.They infected all my house plants within a matter of days. Just to make sure it was from them, I went there and examined their other ones along with the store manger, who buy the way didn't know what the white things were crawling all over his plants, as he says, and yes, they were the source. I returned them for my money back. I was even told by the insect controller for that store, who happened to know me, that the manager was told to throw them out and not to sell,beacause they were beyond controlling, not worth the public, and still, he sold them get some money. Well, stupid!! me decided one more time to buy another another plant 2 weeks ago, because I fell in love with their Gardenias. So I bought it.It looked clean,except what looked like scale, but I never seen scale before and so bought it. I only had this plant for ten days and noticed over the weekend it was full of scale, and what ever it was, was spreading rapidly. Also their instore ones were doing the same. Even the girl employee who works there was grossed out by it and did'nt blame me for returning it .

WEll, I went back today to exchange it for a healthier one,just to be YELLED at and told that I am making trouble for that store by the same manager who sold me the infected Citrus trees back in December. After years of being a customer, I was belittled, told by the manager that I make him look bad, he would never send out infested trees , and not to come back to buy anymore.

Of course I made him aware of how rude he was, unprofessional and upsetting he was to me.I told him he was wrong for this treatment after being a fine customer for years. I was practically in tears and shakey. I had a mind to smack him for this, but held back, took my store credit back and left... Did I make him look bad by returning infested plants? Even the help opologized for his manners and tone of voice towards me. I took my money and left in dibelief. All this coming from a man that I have dealt with many times before I knew what to watch for when purchasing plants.

I told him I would never be back until I get an opology from him for his behavior. I think he he was embarresed by his behavior too.

I have had a pest problem all winter because of him, and now this..:-(

I just needed to feel better by sharing..Thanks all...

Mike

Comments (12)

• mr_subjunctive
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Well of course it's reasonable to expect that a reputable business isn't going to sell you plants that have bugs on them. It's even more reasonable to expect that they won't sell you buggy plants knowingly.

That said, this is a stressful time of year to be in the plant business, and it can be frustrating to deal with certain pest issues in a greenhouse setting. So yeah, it's their fault, and the reaction with the gardenia was over the top, but it probably has very little to do with you. I wouldn't take it too personally. I wouldn't be inclined to shop there again, though.

You might also consider sending something about this to the store in writing. It may or may not accomplish anything, but there's always the possibility that they might extend you additional store credit, or try to make it up to you in some way or another. If you do elect to write something up, be as specific as you can: how many plants you've bought from them over the years, specific dates when you bought the plants in question, employee names if you know any. It isn't that being specific will necessarily get you anything, but it'll make them better able to decide whose heads need to roll, if any, how much money they think might mollify you, and it's all down on a piece of paper that they're going to have to deal with one way or another. They may deal with it by throwing it in the trash, granted, but I think writing a semi-formal complaint and sending it in might be to your benefit.

Or don't. I wouldn't blame you if you just wanted to be done with these people.

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

OH Mike, you certainly did NOT do anything wrong..on the contrary..the manager was damn rude..reading your post pisses me off..How dare he say the things he did, and act like a maniac!!!
    He's a manager?? That guy should be fired, or at the least, admonished for his rude bahavior.
    First off, the customer is always right, even if they're not, but in your case, you WERE right..You pointed out bug infested plants..Their Citrus should have been burned. He was told to toss them by the insect controller, yet sold them without thinking twice about selling to unsuspecting customers who paid with their hard-earned money, only to end up bringing home unhealthy plants.
    I'm sure all nurseries have some type of bug on plants, but legit places do their best ridding insects, via insecticides, (hosing, if possible.) If they're highly infested, plants are tossed or returned to the green house they were shipped from.
    Mike, perhaps you should write to the owner/corporation..tell them you 'were' a regular customer, and always dwelt with kind, helpful employees. Describe what transpired. If you know the managers name, even better..explain how rude he was, told you not to shop there anymore..tell them how he belittled you in front of customers and employees..How devestated you felt. If you write, don't sound angry..act upset. Like they say you can catch more flys with honey,....
    You should also mention you have established plants at home... after bringing home their citrus and gardenia, you dicovered your plants contracted insects.. plants you've had for 'x' years..Explain how you went back to the store to check their plants, to see if they were the source, and while checking you found 'scale'/'mites'..Mention pointing the insects out to employee/s..I don't know if you want to name names..employees may or may not be willing to stand behind you for fear of losing their job, or dealing with their obnoxious manager.

Mike, is the store a chain or family owned business? If family owned, it'd be easier talking to the owner, possibly in person if you're in a small town. They should be aware who they hire as managers..one downfall is, if family owned, it's possible the manager is a relative..but I'd still bring it to their attention. It'd have been better if you brought a camera, took pics of scale/mite plants..Date and send along with the letter.
    I don't know how far you want to go with this, Mike, if you'd rather not deal with the nursery, ignore it, that's up to you, of course...but if you know people who shop there, I'd definately tell them to inspect any plants they buy..tell them about your citrus/gardinia issue. How your established plants ended up with mites and scale..
    Whatever you do, I wish you the best, and hope you rid those nasty bugs.
    I'm sure you felt shaky, who wouldn't? You did the right thing..who wants to bring home a new plant loaded with insects, not to mention infest your home-grown plants? I know from the other forum the love you have for citrus. So, I'm sure you were delighted your local nursery suddenly had them in stock.
    I'm 5'5, weigh 116 lbs, but I feel like going to your nursery and punching that guy out!! :) Hugs, Toni

• Related Discussions

Did I do something wrong?

Q

Comments (3)
    CalCat, I don't believe you (and am sure others would agree) said "anything wrong" or offended anyone. May I ask why you feel you did? lme5573 and Chris have replied to your post (if you didn't see). Ime5573 was just merely "bumping" the post up for you, as once your post receives a reply (or in your case, you posted a second photo, which to GW, seems like a reply), it will continue to drop down the list and possibly out of sight for some people. He/She (sorry!) was just making sure it stayed up top so it would be seen by others. Hope that makes sense. Planto
    ...See More

Did I Do Something Wrong?

Q

Comments (8)
    I poured boiling water through the jelly bag before adding the juice, so it was pre-moistened. Water drains through it fast, just not my juice. lol Well it appears my choice of crabapples was the problem. It took nearly 6 pounds of crabapples and 6 cups water just to get 3 1/4 cups of juice. (didn't measure the total amount of applesauce) At least now I know how much apples I need to use if I decide to make this again. Or find juicier crabapples. And the jelly is done. This morning I made the jelly and sealed it. I got 4 half-pints, plus an extra half-cup that I didn't process. It's cooling on a towel on my kitchen counter. It tastes great. I used a turkey baster to suck the juice off the sediment that accumulated overnight. What really surprised me is that when I was boiling the juice and sugar together, it cleared up nicely. As for the applesauce, I added enough water to loosen it up some and enough sugar to sweeten it. It tastes great as well (I left it somewhat tart). I froze it instead of canning it though. I thought about using apple cider instead of water to loosen it but decided that I wanted a pure crabapple sauce. Thanks everyone for the help. Very much appreciated. Rodney
    ...See More

Did I Do Something Wrong?

Q

Comments (4)
    Mine was gone for about 10 days. And just last couple have come back. We had colder then normal temps. And I think they went farther south. But counts are down-lot because of Katrina. Feeders and food wasn't there for them. But I hope they have a great nesting season. And back fighting over the feeders
    ...See More

Crockpot Caramelized Onions--what did I do wrong?

Q

Comments (16)
    Thanks for the crockpot report. I was going to try this but don't think I will now especially since I am already quite pleased with the results when I roast the onions (after spraying with a little olive oil Pam spray and dousing them with soy sauce.) The results are dry and carmelized after baking at 350 for about 30 minutes in a shallow pan since you want as much air to get to the onions as possible while baking (and don't overcrowd for same reason). If you try this, line your pan with tin foil or parchment paper to help avoid a messy cleanup.
    ...See More
  • greattigerdane
    16 years ago

Here, here, Toni,

I totally agree with you 100%! I would get a hold of the OWNER (s) and tell them what this idiot said to you, forget the manager! You can't reason with anyone like that! This so called manager is probably nasty like that in his personal life as well!
    He's a jerk, and shouldn't be in any business where he has to deal with people, at least live people. Maybe he should be digging graves up in the Hollywood Hills!

I would call the owner and talk to him, or, maybe set up a meeting at the nursery. Don't be nasty, but be VERY firm, tell the owner how much you like shopping at his place, all the plants you bought etc,and then everything this guy said to you, what all "he" did wrong" not you! Hopefully, they will get rid of him quick! One bad persons experience and word of mouth can ruin a business, of course, the other buyers can see for themselves and make complaints. That manager is working for a pay check, not your happiness! Don't take ANY abuse, let the owner know what happened, you'll feel a lot better if you do.

I would let the owner know if this ever happened to me. I consider myself a good costumer here at a local nursery, and If the manager was like rude to me like that and just plain disrespectful, he would certainly wish he picked on someone else to yell at and bully, that's for sure!!!

Billy Rae

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Billy, your post sounds like you thought this terrible thing happened to me..It didn't..It happened to Mike, the original poster of this thread..
    Reading his words upset me..I can't stand people who think the world won't exsist if it wasn't for them..or the world revolves around THEM. Just because he's a manager, he thinks his sh** don't stink..Oh I'm sorry, but people like that manager outta be, well, forget it..I've said enough..
    Yes, that so-called man is a Bully, with a capital B..Toni

• greattigerdane
    16 years ago

Toni,

I'm tired, but not that tired, lol.

I was agreeing with what you said to Mike in your post before going into my own rant about that stupid manager.

Billy Rae

• User
    16 years ago

Frankly, I'd just move on. Yes, you can write & complain, it may or may not change anything. I would document that you were told to shop elsewhere, that's incredibly bad business, anywhere for any reason.

That said, I would move on & never go back there. I'm a bit put off that you kept going back after getting bugs several times. IMO, not a good idea.

Then again, it's usual practice for many indoor gardeners to isolate their new purchases from the rest of their collections, precisely for this reason. Then if one found bugs it'd be BEFORE they spread to the whole collection. I suggest you not shop there any more & adopt this isolation practice for your own collection.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi everyone...Thanks so much for listenenig to what happened. Here's is the follow up. I took all of your advice except for one, and called to speak to the owner since it is a family buisness, and little did the manager know, I know the familiy. I spoke to the owner and expalained what had happened. He said that one of his workers had made him aware of what happened too, and he felt awful about it. He even said that I should work there, since I am more in tune to his infected plants than his own help is, and that he would have less aggrivations if his plants were thrown out when they are beyond help. In fact he thought the Citrus I bought were thrown out, because he also was aware of the mites they had, but didn't know the manager was still selling them!..
    He also said that he knows me personally and that alot of his people who work there like me, not that that matters, since any customer should be treated fairly. But also that I am a wonderful loyal cutomer.
    He is sending me a HUGE gift certificate to make up for all the gas, unjust treatment , and any promblems this may have caused me. I told him I will use it to purchase Landscaping plants since I am hesitant to even walk back into the garden shop.
    He asked me not to stay away, but when I am comfortable, to come back, since there is going to be some big changes.
    Sorry pirate girl, I never back after getting bugs SEVERAL times, it was only my second visit since my first bad experience with pests. I always give someone a chance. I figured after the first time they knew of their insect promblem, they would be more in tune with this and by the time 5 months rolled by, it would of been addressed. But now I learned my lesson.:-)
    Thankyou so much for caring Toni,mr_subjunctive, greattigerdane,and pirate_girl.
    It's good to know you all! :-)
    You all gave me the courage to handle a situation appropiatly, and with insight.

• mr_subjunctive
    16 years ago

Good to hear.

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Mike, I'm so happy you ran into the owner, and the nursery isn't a chain, or owned by a corporation. (most could care less)
    I'm also glad the owner appreciates you as a person and a customer, and because of your grief gave you a gift certificate. That's wonderful news. If you garden outdoors, there ya go.
    I didn't mean to go on a rampage yesterday, but hearing what went on, truly upset me.
    A similar situation happened to my brother last week. The cashier is a witch with a B, treats customers like trash. Like you, other emplyoees and customers overheard the dispute, and apologized to him. His 3 little girls were present when this happened. The casher laughed in his face when he threatened writing the owner.
    Anyway, I'm so happy hearing you got everything resolved. The sad part is, if it's the only nursery around, where will you shop for plants? (S)
    Like Karen said, since their plants are infested, it's better to steer clear. BUT, now that the cats out of the bag, maybe the owner will hire someone with knowledge, someone who will discard diseased/infested plants, or at the minimum resolve the problem..If buggy plants are coming from the green house they order from, they better look elsewhere.
    Mike are you going to take the owner up on his offer? It'd sure be nice, working with plants..plus you'd have access to rare tropicals/succulents before customers get their hands on them..LOL..One advantage working in a nursery.
    What type of plants do you grow outdoors? Toni

• greattigerdane
    16 years ago

Mike,

I'm so glad you decided to call the owner! It's something the owner needed to hear about.
    He, the owner, sounds like a fair and decent guy that does care about his costumers.
    Maybe that manager will be looking for another job with the BIG CHANGES coming huh?
    At least then you won't have to feel uncomfortable going inside the nursery again, and showing him your not intimidated at all by him is always good for the soul.Your in the drivers seat NOW, so, i'd go back and buy some house plants, lol.

I have a feeling you won't be getting yelled at again by this clown anytime soon. Hopefully the owner gave him a "What For" and hopefully soon, the boot! Good going!

Happy Shopping:>)
    Billy Rae

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Billy Rae,

hahahhaahhahahalolololoololhahahahahahha...YOu are so darn funny. I neded a good laugh!!! hahahahhhahaa

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

oh goodness,,
    I was laughing so hard, sheesh, I forgot to thank my dear friends Toni, and mr_subjunctive...lolololol
    I am still laughing...Seriously, thanks for much for all you did for me all of you and your kindness!!!
    That is what good people are for....Thanks!!!:-)