SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
camaria

Hypertufa for large above ground pond? Advice please

camaria
16 years ago

I'm a newbie, and I'm interested in building a circular container with a 5 foot diameter for an above ground formal pond. Obviously this isn't going to be my first hypertufa project, I'll be dabbling with much smaller projects first, but I'm curious about a few things.

Could I build the entire container using a mesh frame and then plastering over it with hypertufa, or do I need to find a way to make a mold for this?

Being a really large project, I'm guessing this would have to be done in place, outside. Can the container cure outside?

Being large, this container would have to be left outside for winters. I don't think it would be moveable. Our winters temperatures dip down to minus 30 degrees C. If I installed a drain in the bottom to keep water out, would that be sufficient protection?

Generally, I'm just wondering if building a 5' diameter container for a pond is a doable idea for hypertufa. My other option is to buy a large circular livestock trough and try to dress it up a bit. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting