SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rkgibbs3

Above ground Pond help please

rkgibbs3
11 years ago

So, I've been reading through some of the posts about ponds. A lot of great ideas for pond liners!

I live in zone 6a and would like to build an above ground pond that I can put a few fish in and some plants. Nothing too crazy, just something fun to play with. We rent so I don't want to waste time and money building something I can't take with me if I move.

I'm cheap, I'm a college "kid" (almost 30, hehe) and married, so I'm cheap by choice but also because I have to be, lol.

Anyways, against the west wall of my house there is a cement area that runs next to my porch. I am thinking of building something that would be maybe 3-4 long, 2-3ft wide and roughly 2-3 ft deep. It really depends on what I can find to use as a liner that is affordable.

The pond would be on cement but the east side of it will be up against my house. The north side of it would be up against my wooden porch where it would be fairly protected from the elements. It is mainly the west and south side of it that would be exposed, but even then, my neighbors house is just south of us (and pretty close) and we have lots of trees around our back fences so it would be somewhat protected from wind unless we had a very strong wind coming from the west. Above it, the roof of the house comes out just over a foot so it would be in shade almost all day except for maybe a couple hours in the late afternoon/early evening. And if it rains/snows, it would be pretty protected from it. It would get some if it fell straight down from the sky, more if a strong wind was blowing from the southwest, but our porch also has a roof over it so it would be fairly protected. I also have an outlet near by that I could easily plug in a pond heater if needed in the winter to keep it from freezing.

SOOOOOO, any thoughts of building this cheaply would be great.

I am thinking if I can find a large container really cheap that can hold it's own form, I might take wood pallets and build a frame around it to help insulate it and also to paint the frame and make it look nice.

If I can't find a sturdy container then I may look for a cheap but sturdy liner and then get sturdier wood to build a frame for the pond.

Should I build a bottom to the frame if I go the liner route? Or can I just build 4 sides and let the bottom liner touch the cement?

Any suggestions of other ways to protect it from freezing so I can keep plants and animals in an above ground pond? I understand fish will basically hibernate until it warms up again, I just would like to be able to keep from having to bring fish and plants in each winter if possible.

Let me know what you guys think!

Comments (10)