SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daviddmc

Do apple trees need spraying to produce??

David Christopher
16 years ago

Hi all -- I just recently planted three semi-dwarf apple trees in my yard, different variets, one is Williams Pride, the other is NY12345 (some number, forgot it), and I forgot off hand the other. Anyway, my neighbor told me that apple trees don't product unless you spray the blossoms with something to help them produce fruit. She claimed that's why the ONE Granny Smith tree she has only produces small useless fruit.

Now, I know I must do a bunch of research on how to properly care for my trees, prune them, and do whatever's needed to maximize harvest -- but this sounds a bit out there to me -- (neighbor is by no means any kind of expert on this topic).

My feeling is that her tree doesn't produce because it has no pollinators. But anyway, my question here is, is she talking nonsense or is there really a process of spraying that must be done in order to grow edible apples??

I can understand spraying for pests/diseases, but not just to get production, that makes little sense to me.

Also, I plan to grow these trees organically, so I don't wish to spray them with anything really, at least no harmful chemicals.

Any response or advice you can give would be great. Thanks so much!

Dave NJ Z6

Comments (4)