SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
riptidefrog

marginata really a lucky bamboo?

riptidefrog
17 years ago

I have a question about a Dracaena.

I bought a dracaena from walmart about 2 months ago and I originally thought it was going to be a marginata like my mother has. Hers is a beautiful plant that started tiny when i was young and now fills her great room to the ceiling in the corner.

Now i know that its really too soon to tell if i will have the same plant as her, the plant is just starting to settle in to its new home and they usually grow slowly. And the plant is still in its original 4" pot.

But the reason for the post is that i have seen some people name what i always thought was a marginata a lucky bamboo. Now i know that lucky bamboo is really dracaena, but i was wondering if i could in fact have a dracaene that will be thin and spindly instead of the nice robust plant i thought i was going to get eventually.

Right now there are 3 plants in a 4" pot and they are about 6-8" tall with leaves that are at most 3/4" wide and about 6" long. Like i said its just getting used to its new home but the first few leaves that it has put out since it has been with me have been the same as the old. No noticeable change from the ones it had grown before it got to me.

Anyone ave a similar experience or know the answer to my question?

As always, any help greatly appreciated.

Comments (12)