SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
axel_hb

Drosophila suzukii now found on the East Coast and Midwest

Axel
13 years ago

I spoke to our Ag commissioner today, and it appears that the spotted wing Drosophila has now spread to the East Coast and has been found in the Midwest as well. He says that it is now the number one nationwide concern.

The bug was discovered in Florida and is working its way North. I don't know what States in the Midwest it was found in. But it's spreading like wildfire. Apparently, the way it was brought into the country is by making it available for feeding pet reptiles. They had no idea what they were bringing in.

This is a massive disaster pest. It destroyed 100% of the cherry crop in Santa Clara county last year. There are no quarantines because the fly is everywhere, but any commercial crop found infested with the fly will be destroyed by the authorities who are trying to prevent further spread.

So folks on the East coast and in the midwest, better watch for the fly in your cherry crops. They will infest every single soft fruit crop. They look just like regular vinegar flies, so it's hard to tell you have them until you find your fruit crops rotting on the trees before they fully ripen.

I wish I had better news for you guys, but it looks like in addition to all the already difficult pests you have on the East coast, now here comes yet another one.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations