SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
axel_hb

Devastated by Drosophila suzukii

Axel
11 years ago

This is the third year in a row that I've had a complete crop devastation from Drosophila suzukii. The infestation is so bad that my apple crop is 80% destroyed.

Thanks to this pest, I will say my good byes to the majority of the soft fruit crops I have grown so far. I will be removing every last blackberry and raspberry vine off my property, remove most sour and wild cherries. I will be tearing out the majority of my plums, pluots and peaches, leaving just the bare minimum my family can consume. I kid you not, the infestation was so bad, it's not even worth having any of these fruits around, they just rot on the branches and vines.

Without the soft fruit, the pressure on apples and pears isn't that great. But with a ton of soft fruit around the last few seasons, the population simply exploded this year. Thanks to this fruit fly, my fruit hobby will focus from now on more on non-soft fruits. This fly has single handedly destroyed my dream of an orchard where you can just walk in and always find something ripe to eat. I have to focus now on harvest schedules and making sure crops get removed from the trees as soon as they begin to ripen.

I've discovered the number one vector for the fly is the raspberry, followed by blackberries and then capulin cherries. There is no point on trying to grow any of these fruits unless I am willing to create a permanent enclosure with mosquito netting.

I guess I'll just be buying my berries at Trader Joes. And if anyone would ask, I would never, ever recommend any home gardener to even bother with blackberries and raspberries, it's not worth the trouble. Drosophila suzukii has rendered it nearly impossible to grow these, even strong pesticides don't really work.

Comments (34)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!