SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gonebananas_gw

Tactics for pears on sterile sands in a fireblight climate?

gonebananas_gw
17 years ago

I am growing several selections of pears in big pots for eventual transfer into leached acidic sandhills soils ( I'll adjust pH before or at planting). I have gathered cultivars with decent resistance to fireblight, but we will occasionally have long spells of hot wet weather that will challenge any cultivar. In these sterile soils I will have to do some fertilizing. What do you think about the following rationales?

Organic fertilizers or composts are unsuitable. The soils can certainly use an addition of organic matter, and the water retention would help, but organic fertilizers and composts and mulches with a fair amount of nitrogen break down and leach into the root zone faster in hot wet weather, precisely when I don't want fertilizer stimulation.

Potassium and phosphorous are applicable with little or no risk of facilitating fireblight.

Nitrogen in cheap inorganic fertilizer or alternatively in expensive soluble fertilizer, in small amounts, is best suited to giving a short burst of growth in the cool spring and then leaching away by the arrival of hot wet weather.

Woody plants are reputed to take up and store nutrients in the dormant season, and even take them up without stimulating new growth in fall before leaf-fall, so fertilization might best be accomplished at those times, allowing all winter for any excess to leach away.

Growth concentrated in a short period early in the season is a characteristic of some cultivars of notable resistance to fireblight. Carefully timed and type of N fertilization on otherwise low-fertility sands might force other cultivars into a more-or-less similar growth regime.

Cutting back on irrigation in the summer might also reduce new growth.

What do you think?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!