SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gonebananas_gw

Framework For Multigrafted Pear Tree

gonebananas_gw
14 years ago

If I make it to looming old-dufferdom, eventually I will want a tree or two in the home yard with a number of favorite pears (suppose, heavens forefend, that I have to stop driving to the country someday, or perhaps in a day of intemperate shuffleboard gambling lose the intended country three-quarters acre?).

Anyway, ignoring the general opposition of some to multigrafts, what is the best tactic for doing this? Specifically, should I grow the rootstock into the framework, or should I grow a strong-growing fire-blight resistant edible pear as the framework and top (leader)?

Kiefer has the reputation of being poor to accept grafts upon it, despite its other obvious advantages, but I do have Ledbetter which should be as fire-blight resistant as is reasonably achievable in an eating pear. I can put it on callery pear rootstock.

And should I bud to the trunk, or train framework branches (for at least a year) and bud to them an inch or two out, one variety per main branch?

Or else can I grow framework branches out several feet and place, say, three varieties spread out on the length, as new main secondary branches.

Any known advantage one way or another in these questions?

Comments (18)