SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladykitsu

Pear Tree - will it survive? (kinda long)

ladykitsu
16 years ago

Hey everyone

I have a few questions about a 3 x 1 bareroot pear tree I got & planted earlier in the year. I've never really owned fruit trees before so bear with me...

The tree in question has never produced leaves since planting (around mid May of this year), however the wood still looks very green and alive. It has not grown much - I've noticed maybe 1/3 inch growth from a couple "dead" bud heads.

I've been spraying the snot out of it for fireblight - every 4 days.... I had another pear tree I planted early April (it was a potted 4 x 1 that I got from a local nursery) that I'm pretty sure died from it. I'm not 100% sure because it didn't look like any fireblight pictures, but it was the closest thing that it resembled....Basically the green wood started shriviling like a rasin, but never had that "burned" look. The buds that had just started to break open when I planted it, just died (they didn't have that "burned" look either).

It took me a long time to start spraying, because I thought it might be something else...I think it was too late for the big tree, but possibly saved the little bare root I have still.

Anyway...My worry is that even though the tree looks "alive" and healthy (except for the lack of budding, leaves, etc)...I'm not sure that it will survive the winter.

Should I keep spraying it to be on the safe side (I've been spraying every 4 days because the directions say that's okay for dormancy - and since it's pretty dormant, I thought it would be okay)...Or should I cut down the amount of sprayings...or just stop all togather.

Thanks for all the help

Laura

Comments (10)