SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
garedneck_gw

Improve fruit tree spray regiment by treating surrounding land?

garedneck
12 years ago

Please critique my annual stone fruit, apple , pears, grapes, etc. spray regiment:

TREAT AREA AROUND FRUIT TREES

I use round up in the spring and fall to kill all non fruit producing plants within 20 feet of my fruit trees believing the grass/weeds just harbor pests which will attack the fruit trees , and the dead grass/weeds roots will at least reduce soil erosion problems ( i let the grass/weeds grow when the fruit is not being produced), and grass/weeds take nutrients from fruit trees. During fruit growth season the "dead" grass/weed areas are sprayed with malathion or another bug killer to again reduce the potential pest pressure on the fruit trees.

TREAT FRUIT TREES

Dormant oil spray in winter

Copper spray in late winter

immunox or captan at bud break

triacide and immunox every 2-3 weeks during fruit growth until harvest.

A few weeks after fruit forms treat fruit trees with Bayer systemic once and done pest control.

Maybe once during fruit growing season use Bonide complete fruit tree spray and or another product which uses different chemicals than immunox or triacide.

Once all the fruit is gone immunox in the fall.

Do you agree with this regiment or recommend something different? I have noticed many of the chemical labels seem to indicate to not spray until the problem is occurring , but isn't being proactive better? I realize i may need special chemicals at times if specific problems emerge, but just looking for a basic regular annual approach which will keep most problems at bay.

The "orchard" area drains well and there is no standing water, all waste fruit is removed from the grounds, pruning waste is stored (composted) 50 feet from orchard area, 6-8 hours sun per day.

Comments (12)