SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
journorchid

yet another sad peace lilly

journorchid
17 years ago

Like many others, I have a Peace Lilly that isn't doing so well. I rescued it from a coworker who had left it unwatered (and without any sunlight to speak of) for a week such that all the leaves had wilted completely. I told her I'd try to save it.

I took the plant home and trimmed off all the obviously dead (black) foliage, which was about half. Then I took it out of the pot to inspect. Soil was still slightly moist, but definitely (apparently) too dry for this plant. Also, I noted that there was a very tightly potbound rootball at the center of the wide pot from what I'm guessing was an earlier repotting. I tried to break up the rootball a bit and spread some roots into the rest of the soil. Then I ran it under water until it was pretty well soaked and put it in a saucer on some pebbles so it wouldn't stand in water.

The remaining foliage perked up to an extent, but is still slightly droopy and some of it has black on it. This seems to be getting worse -- the youngest, newest pair of leaves has gone all black and crispy.

I have only a few healthy leaves left, but with such a (formerly?) solid root system, this thing should be totally salvageable. So -- HELP!!!

Now, here is all the information y'all would request before providing your friendly advice:

Temp: 66-76 degrees

Humidity: Pretty dry this time of year

Fertilizer: Added a tiny amount of osmocote before realizing that near-death is no time to be fertilizing a plant.

Light: No direct light, strong to medium light from various directions (small house).

Watering: The soil seems to retain a ton of water. I have only watered once since a month or so ago when I got it. Last was a week ago, and soil is still basically wet.

I know most people will probably either say "root rot" or advise faster-draining soil, but I am a total blackthumb and would need some specifics on this:

1. Good idea to repot a plant that has been through so much stress lately?

2. What would I do about root rot with such a thin-rooted plant?

3. What exactly would constitute a coarser/faster-draining soil? I have some pretty useless big-box store Phal. orchid mix of chunky bark and charcoal and some Miracle-Gro potting soil. Could mix these. Also have something called "rock powders" purchased from the worm tea people, which claims to add micro-nutrients and trace elements, porosity and tith to soil, stimulate root production and so on. Perlite is easily available. Dunno about finding horticultural sand...

A million thanks in advance for any advice you can share.

Dan

Comments (6)