SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mommachickadee

Leaf disease or chemical burn on Schefflera Amate? (pics)

mommachickadee
14 years ago

Hi, all! I found this Schefflera Amate at a garden center while it was being treated for a serious mealy bug infestation. After it was cleared by them to go home with me, I went back and bought it as well as a bottle of the Ortho Ecosense they had treated it with, just in case. Since then I've been keeping a very close eye on it and when I noticed new mealy bugs I treated it again. About a week or so later I decided to clean the leaves off with a dish soap and water solution to remove all the heavy oil residue from the spray. I had also decided at that time to treat it with Bonide Systemic to control any further infestation within. I hadn't planned on watering it yet, but I needed to in order to water the systemic granules in, so I gave it just enough to accomplish that. It seemed extremely happy to have clean leaves and a little water. However, a few days later I noticed leaves turning dark and limp and falling off. I don't know if I somehow caused a chemical reaction and the leaves are burned or if this is some sort of leaf disease or what. The plant seems to be doing well otherwise--even has a lot of new growth--but I want to get control over whatever is happening to its leaves before the whole plant is affected. I will include pics that will hopefully help:

Schefflera Amate when I brought it home:

{{gwi:73959}}

Damaged leaves:

{{gwi:73960}}

{{gwi:73961}}

{{gwi:73962}}

{{gwi:73963}}

New growth:

{{gwi:73964}}

{{gwi:73965}}

Comments (14)