SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kiddo333

Amate Schefflera - help problems and growth

kiddo333
12 years ago

I have a beautiful Schefflera "Amate", which I purchased about 2 months ago. This is a "huge" tree, about 14 1/2 feet tall. It's trunk is more of a gray, bark color. It's an indoor tree, as I have 20ft vaulted ceilings. It sits in my foyer and gets light most of the day from the front door windows and second level windows. I polished the leaves of the tree with a very, very light coat of mayo and only on the top of the leaves - I then wiped them to where there was no visible signs of mayo. About a week later, I noticed about 7 different leaves - each on different branches, fading to a florescent yellow. The rest of the leaves appear fine. I removed these yellowing leaves. What could be the cause of this? the mayo? I went back over every leaf with a wet paper towel, just in case this was the cause. I don't see anymore yellowing as of yet - but would like to know if anyone knows why this healthy tree may have done something like this.

Also, I just noticed a brand new "growth" coming from the top of the tree. This new growth looks perky and healthy, although a little lighter in it's shade of green. The growth is just about a week old. Is this normal? And does anyone know how often new growth is expected to appear on a tree this size?

Thank you so much - Lorra

Comments (6)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012