SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carriage_gw

Newbie question: how do I prune this plum tree (with pics), pls!

carriage
15 years ago

I hope no one minds a real real newbie question.

We bought this house with an amazing plum tree last year. Moved in in August right when the plums were coming in. There were HUNDREDS!! I have no idea what kind of plum tree it is. The plums were average size and were odd in this way: if you picked them a day too early, they were rather tart (which I didn't mind; the texture was soft and pretty juicy; very tasty). If you picked them right on the "right" day, they were incredibly sweet and juicy and tasty. But if you picked them a day late, they were overly juicy and soft and the flavor was already going out of them. We made LOTS of delicious compote. Really, though, it was like there was a 24 hour window for picking each plum at just the right time!

Anyway, about the pruning questions: It obviously hadn't been pruned in a season or two. I know it's hard to tell from the pics, so I'll try to describe as best as I can. The more or less horizontal/diagonal growing branches were older growth, as evidenced by the bark. Those were very high producers. And they seemed to need to some real pruning--they were just a little too dense with tiny branches (and plums!). The totally vertical branches on top were pretty new growth--no plums and lots of very green, very healthy leaves. From what I've read, the advice seems to be: prune it a lot just to thin it out, and completely lop off all of that vertical growth. Is that correct? I'm tempted to do that b/c I want to do right by the tree and I am very interested in the fruits. However, if you notice, those top branches actually rise up and provide some privacy for that top window there, which I rather like. too. The window otherwise is exposed to the street and a big, new apartment building... What will happen if I keep some or all of that vertical growth? Can I just thin the tree out all-the-way around to get more light in everywhere, while keeping the height? Or can I trim the vertical growing branches to make them a bit shorter, without actually lopping them off at the base?

Shoot, not entirely sure how to post a pic... Let me try:

{{gwi:85160}}

Your advice, o wise ones, is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance, for this, and for the awesome forum altogether!

Carriage

Comments (8)