SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jesbryn

Methley Plum Tree- waterspouts, leaders- or...? Pruning questions

Jesbryn
12 years ago

Hello,

We have a Methley Plum tree. I can't remember for sure if it is a dwarf variety. It was planted by a local tree group 2 years ago in December. The first spring it was covered in blooms and early that summer we had lots of sweet little plums. This year it didn't bloom, and not a single plum. I have heard it's normal for these trees to skip a year after being transplanted. So I wasn't too worried. Instead of blooms or fruit, though, this year it rapidly grew these long whip-like branches. They don't really match the rest of the tree. At first we thought they were waterspouts and should just be cut off, but the more I read about waterspouts the more I start to second guess. None of these grow straight vertically. Rather they are a continuation of the branches that were there. But much smoother and reddish in hue. Since they don't look like they would hold fruit in any case, I still think perhaps they should be pruned. But I haven't the slightest clue, really, and I am very hesitant to cut so much growth off our new little tree.

I am adding this link to 3 photos- http://www.jessbronk.com/_images/plumtrio1.jpg the first gives you a good idea of the trees silhouette, you can see how the new branches just soar out from the otherwise nubby and compact little tree. My goofy red lines are where I imagine they should be pruned, if they really should be pruned. I hope no one ever finds my image online out of context and thinks I know what I'm doing ;) I am probably wrong on all counts! Please advise. Thanks for your time.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations