SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bart1_gw

Plum Pruning Question (with photos)

13 years ago

I need some advice on what I should do with my plum trees. I have two trees that are about 4 years old. They both produced a good crop last year and seem to be on their way to another good year. The height of both trees is pretty good, but I think my branches may be a little to flat (or horizontal).

Anyhow, my question has to do with the watersprouts that have appeared on the (mostly horizontal) bearing branches.

The pictures below show 1) a shot of the tree, just to give you a idea of what the whole thing looks like, 2) a shot of one of the bearing branches before I did any pruning of the watersprouts, and 3) a shot of one of the bearing branches after I removed most of the watersprouts.

As you can see, once I removed the watersprouts (I left the last 3 inches or so on the tree), there are almost no leaves remaining on the branch. The only leaves that remain are on the stub of the waterspout that I left during my pruning.

My concern is that if I remove all the watersprouts (and remove them all the way down to the horizontal branch they sprout from), there wonÂt be any leaves left on that bearing branch. Is that a problem for the ripening fruit? My gut tells me it must be. How can the fruit ripen if there are no leaves on the branch?!?!!

Anyhow, here are the photos:

This one shows the entire tree:

{{gwi:117405}}

This one shows one of the horizontal bearing branches with the watersprouts before I did any pruning:

{{gwi:117406}}

And this one shows a bearing branch after pruning. As you can see the only leaves are on the little stubs of the watersprouts that didnÂt get pruned all the way down to the main branch:

{{gwi:117407}}

So my question is, what should I do with the rest of the watersprouts?

1) Nothing. Let them continue to grow straight up.

2) Remove most of them, but leave a couple inches, and a couple leaves on each one.

3) Prune them all the way down to the main branch they sprout from.

4) Something else

I'm very confused and would appreciate any suggestions or advice that anyone has.

Thanks!

Bart

Comments (5)