SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dezzo77

Advice on Soil & Watering for Yucca & Dracaena Reflexa?

dezzo77
10 years ago

Ok here goes...

I recently brought home two new plants, a Yucca and a Dracaena Reflexa and I'm having some trouble deciding how to pot them, the soil to use, etc.

They both came in 10" pots. I have some new "self watering" pots here with the hole in the side that I can use to drain excess water from. I've got 10" and 12" sizes.

Note, I don't water from the bottom when using these pots. I only use the reservoir as a saucer and I drain it out if it fills when watering from the top.

The 10" seems a little too small for either plant, mostly because a little depth is lost due to the reservoir in the bottom taking up some space. though once I get the soil off the roots and maybe trim the roots slightly, I may be able to get it into the 10" pot after all, and I hear Yucca and Dracaena Reflexa don't mind being potbound anyway.
Opinions?

I can't even find anything concrete on what type of soil is best for a Yucca or D. Reflexa. I find that with larger pots, it's harder to control the watering, because if you water them thoroughly until it drains from the bottom, as you would with smaller plants, then the soil stays too moist for weeks, which causes me to worry about root rot.

Case in point, I have a Cordyline in a 12" planter that I watered a week and a half ago, and the moisture meter still says it's wet 10/10 on the scale, a little less than halfway down. When I watered I gave it a fair drink, but certainly not enough that excess came out of the drainage holes. This was planted with a mixture of potting soil and cactus mix since I wanted it to have good drainage. I avoided the perlite as Cordyline apparently don't like it.

Apparently Dracaena don't like perlite either, so that would seem to rule that out as a way to help the soil drain more quickly. Not sure if the Yucca can tolerate it or not.

If I go with the 12", it seems to me there will be too much excess soil and it will be hard for it to dry out and since I apparently can't add perlite to the mix, I'm not sure what to do.

Would it be best to use a mix of cactus soil and regular potting soil for these two plants? It didn't seem to help the Cordyline.

I really don't know where to begin. As you can see my thoughts are all over the place here :)

And since we all love pictures of plants, I've included one of the Yucca and Dracaena Reflexa.

Comments (7)