SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
supercet

Help - I broke my yucca - or is it a dracaena?!

supercet
9 years ago

I've had this plant for several years and always thought it was a yucca. Tonight, while moving furniture I accidentally knocked it over and it landed right on the biggest branch and it broke clean off. I'm really bummed, it was over 6' tall with that branch, now it's less than 5' (and that corner of the room looks so bare now!). I searched online to see what to do with the 2' of leaves that broke off but looking at photos I'm no longer convinced it's a yucca, I think it may have been incorrectly labeled when I bought it. It looks much more like a dracaena fragrens, without the variegated leaves (the leaves are broader than all the photos I see of a yucca elephantipes).

Problem is the instructions to pot the broken branch are very different depending on whether it's a yucca (leave it out for a couple of days before potting, similar to a succulent) or a dracaena (put it in water and/or with rooting hormone to let it grow roots then repot).

For now I've cut the bottom to a clean edge, pulled of the bottom couple of leaves and stuck it deep in the pot with the rest of the plant, and watered the soil just a tiny bit (it was pretty dry and due for a watering). But I'm sure that's not enough.

Can anyone help? I assume the broken trunk will probably do very well and produce new shoots near where this break was, but I hate to think of all this long branch with all these lovely leaves just dying. Anyone have any ideas what I should do and which plant I actually have?

Comment