SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cntrygrlathrt

red raspberries and black raspberries

cntrygrlathrt
15 years ago

I have been reading and following several raspberry threads and even done a search for the answers but I haven't been able to find the answers to the questions that I have. I planted reds in the fall, i am not sure what kind of reds. I bought them(6 plants) from someone who was thinning out her patch. They seemed to have wintered well, with bits of green on 5 of them now. A few days ago I bought some black raspberries (about seven plants) from someone thinning out the patch and have not planted yet. I know from reading they behave very differently than the reds. I have a smaller yard than most of my nieghbors but enough room to put in a garden bed with dimintions around 25x15 feet, but want to plant other edibles in that space too

Here are my questions:

1. How closely can the black and reds be planted? Both will be planted in full sun. I don't have trees with shade to speak of, It is a newer housing division.

2. Can I put in a veggie garden around the berries?

3. Will the berries cross pollinate? This is not my intention.

4. Will they fruit at different times? Not a concern just wondering.

5. I had rabbits eat the reds down over the winter. the reds didn't have big thorns. Will the rabbits touch the black ones? They have bigger thorns than reds.

Hopefully I provided enough information to get some answers or opinions. Thanks for reading, pondering and answering in advance.

Billie

Comments (7)