SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sylence

Brand new ivy plant and spider mites.... (I just can't win)

sylence
16 years ago

Ok, I went to walmart last night to buy some perlite and new pots, and decided to pick up a cute litte ivy plant. I looked it over well in the store, but I guess the lighting must not have been that great because today I saw that there are a bunch of spider mites on it.

It hasn't been in contact with my other houseplants yet. So here are my questions...

-Should I just return the plant to the store? (I don't really want to do this, and I suspect that if there's spidermites on this plant they'll be on the neighboring plants there also, so exchanging it wouldn't make much sense)

-Could I put the pot on a pebble tray of water alone in a small terrarium (fishbowl, the plant is really tiny)? I know spidermites don't like humidity, so would this kill them, and could the ivy tolerate this?

-I'm not a big fan of using chemicals, so is there anything else I can do to save this otherwise very healthy looking plant?

I'm so disappointed. I've only had to deal with spidermites once before, and I was quite unsuccessful that time. I'm hoping maybe my terrarium idea is a good one.

Thanks! Sara

Comments (5)