SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
icebear_gw

Could someone teach me how to purne/recover my apple trees?

icebear
14 years ago

I'll try to make this short cause i tend to ramble... lol

My neighborhood is made up of small lots... the neighbor's house burned down, and she did not want to rebuild. So we bought the property and it took us about a year to clean it up to this point and such.

On the far end of the new yard we have two grafted apple trees. I can only guess their age. Maybe 5-7 years old. one is quite a bit smaller than the other?

They are in rough shape, the neighbor to that lot put a fence almost on top of the trees, that fence was not sturdy and had been leaning on one tree for about 2 years. This nearly bent the larger tree's trunk in half. The trees look like they were fairly light starved before we started clearing the area, but they do produce fruit and have produced fruit for at least 4 years that i remember. The fruit is buggy, but good sized. I don't know the type, maybe some sort of delicious in shape, they get a red blush and have dense flesh- but due to bugs and disease they are smallish.

Anyway, when we removed the fence from the larger tree, we had to use a log and a fence post to prop it up. The smaller tree needed propping as well since it looks like it grew reaching desperately for the sun for many years.

They made it through the winter well enough and i treated them both recently with Bonide. Their leaves are just emerging.

I plan to try organic methods once i get a bit more learned about fruit trees.

What i'm hoping to find help with is

Are the trees worth trying to recover?

Any ideas on age?

What clues i could get on guessing variety?

If they can be saved, how on earth should i begin?

I really almost want to limb them completely and get their trunks straightened out, but i don't have a clue!

All i have done this spring is remove some dead and broken bits.

The red fence is ours we installed it nice-side-out, it is as far to the edge of our property as we can politely put it. We aren't quite finished with it, but here are the pics of the trees, i just took them.

{{gwi:81827}}

{{gwi:81828}}

{{gwi:81829}}

{{gwi:81887}}

{{gwi:81889}}

{{gwi:81891}}

{{gwi:81893}}

I appreciate any help. I hope i can learn how to do this.

Comments (15)