SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crabjoe

Other then squishing, what can I do about Squash bug eggs?

crabjoe
16 years ago

I went out to pick some squash this morning and found a cluster of Squash bug eggs. I squished them, picked some fruit and come in. Then sitting here, I figured if there's one cluster of eggs, there's gotta be a Squash bug somewhere.

Back out I went during lunch. I found 7 more clusters of eggs and 2 squash bugs laying eggs. They are both dead now.

Now, I'm wondering...

Just how many clusters do Squash bugs lay? Is it one cluster per squash bug? If it's only one cluster, do they die after they lay or do they just need to mate again before more eggs will appear?

Other then squishing the eggs, is there any other way to eliminate them? I was going to use Sevin, but I'm reading chemicals are not really effective on the eggs and I should wait for them eggs the develop.

Personally, I don't want to give them a chance to develop for them to become a bigger problem.

Man... What the heck is my world coming to? 1st Japanese beetles, then Stink bugs and now Squash bugs!

BTW, if I take a lighter to the eggs, will that work without to much damage to the plant? Because the eggs are so hard, I have a feeling I'm not getting them all squished with some falling to the ground.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations