SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cebury

App/Pear/Cherry Scorching, Protection from Direct Sunlight Questi

cebury
14 years ago

Which trees need the most protection from scorching direct sunlight in summer? It is not uncommon to have week(s) long 100 degree temps and 110+ here and there.

I have a raised bed ready along my East fence for a 4-in-1 Apple on MM106, two sweet cherries on Z3CR178 and GM61/1, and two Bartlett & D'Anjou pears on 333.

Concerning the Summer direct sunlight (which scorches unprotected young trees, so I have shade cloth for the first year or two until established), which tree needs the most protection from the heat? I've heard cherry bark will burn badly in our weather (I'll be painting the trunk and branches). Should I be concerned about this for apples and pears? Which from my list above is most sensitive?

In Summer, the east location gets a couple hours morning sunlight, then is partially or fully hidden behind trees and structures until afternoon, then gets 4-5 hours direct light from 1pm on. The shading pattern varies depending on which spot along the east fence, hence my question before I plant them.

If cherries won't survive 4 hours of Fresno afternoon heat, I may replace them with citrus and plan a different spot for them in partial shade during afternoon heat.

Thanks

Comments (12)