SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laraine47

Any advice on tree root invasion

laraine47
13 years ago

I have a flower bed along a portion of our deck that is 6 ft 9 in. in length and 30 in. wide that is separated by a 3 ft wide interlock pathway with a wider garden on the other side that is home to an Ivory Silk Tree Lilac. The interlock path and gardens have been down now for 21 years along with the tree. I am having problems with the roots from the tree invading the flower bed on the other side of the path. I had to remove everything from the bed this June for a contractor who was demolishing our old cedar deck and replacing it with Ipe. When I dug up my hostas etc. which were not growing well I noticed the thick mat of tree roots and after I potted up my hostas I dug down 2 feet and filled one third of a leaf waste bag with tree roots. That is a lot of roots for such a small flower bed!I did the same process only 2 years ago and ammended the soil with compost and manure, but it seems that only helped the tree and not the hostas. Other than that, it is the perfect spot for my hostas as it is shaded by the tree and my question is....can I plant my hostas in plastic pots large enough for the hosta roots to expand but at the same time hopefully keeping out the tree roots? Or do I have to totally dig up the bed every year to get them out? I do not know how other people can successfully grow any hostas within the vicinity of a tree, and as far as trees go this one is considered small. HELP!!!!

Comments (14)