SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindyrig_gw

Grocery store Peach Trees

Gopherpuckhead
15 years ago

Hello everyone.. this is my first post on Gardenweb but I've been reading the site for several months.

While at a grocery store this afternoon, I saw

a handful of Peach trees for sale. Each tree was

about 5 feet tall and came in a 3-4 gallon container. I was

close to buying one, but wanted to get your advice first.

I know there are peach trees grown with success in southeastern SD, but how good of quality do you think these

grocery store trees are? I've seen the same store selling lemon/lime/orange trees in years past, but they only get a few of each due to our northern location and the difficulty of growing them. I have never seen peach trees before.

1) If I buy one and plant it in the ground, how do you think it would take?

2) There's a small chance I might be re-locating later this year. If that happens, can I transplant it back to a container for my move?

3) Given the height of the tree (height roughly 5 feet) and the crown (2-3 feet diameter), might it be mature enough to produce small unedible fruit or might it need a few years to get acclimated to the climate/transplant?

I would greatly appreciate any help you all might be able to give me. I currently have 2 lemon and 1 orange trees that I bring in and out every year. I don't know if I can handle yet another tree that requires the same in/out due to weather.

Comments (2)