SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
armyofda12mnkeys

Backyard Orchard Culture (pruning bareroot trees)

armyofda12mnkeys
13 years ago

Hello all,

I was reading Dave Wilson's wonderful webpage for Backyard Orchard Culture and i was curious about planting bareroots in this style of gardening ...

I have 3 bareroot Peach plants that i just planted yesterday and they are planted with the graft about2- 3 inches above soil line as recommended ... I opted to plant them relatively close to each other (4 feet) in a row versus the 4-1 hole as I somewhat have the space in backyard and wanted to see a nice lil' hedge row of peaches flowering in spring.

Anyway, I was reading how they should be cut about 15in off the ground (...or up to 4 feet) for Backyard Orchard Culture planting so that the plant promotes its lower side branches as its main branches (of course, since the other ones at the top would be cut off since I would top the tree so low :) ).

Anyway i was curious if the tree doesn't have any side branches currently except at the top 4-5 feet, then what you should do?

Will a peach tree specifically force lower branches to form if there are none there currently? That would be nice since I'm very short and don't want to reach for the current 4 foot branches which will have fruit start at least a couple feet higher in a few years :).

Comments (11)