SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mothernaturejen

Why can't I grow melons? (Pic)

jennijenjen
16 years ago

Hello I'm fairly new to gardening but have learned a lot from GW members. With these canteloupe (muskmelon) I've learned how to battle squash bugs and cabbage worms, and have dealt with some kind of caterpillar that bores into the vine from the top where I see a sticky orange cluster of eggs and have had to cut off the tops of a couple of vines which wilted because of them. I don't believe bugs are the problem though since I've learned to control them pretty well.

I've used coffee grounds every couple of weeks or so. I've tried an all-purpose plant food also but it doesn't seem to keep the leaves from yellowing & dying either.

I've used a soapy spray occasionally and eventually used Green Step for the caterpillars.

I'm suspecting it could be a soil problem since nothing seems to help and no, I haven't had my soil tested. I've read that nematodes are prevalent in this Florida soil so could that be it? Could it be not enough oxygen to the soil since I've kept them mulched?

I was watering every 2-3 days but we've had a lot of daily rain recently.

These will be going to the compost since it seems like they're past the point of no return, though I do have a few more young ones growing and would really like to prevent this with them since my 8-year old is crazy for melons.

The bottoms of the vines are bare since I've been trimming off the dying leaves but left some on for the picture.

Any opinions & advice will be much appreciated!

-Jen

{{gwi:86893}}

{{gwi:86894}}

Comments (10)