SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Your great vacation

A favorite past vacation? The most recent? One you're planning? What do you love to do? How do you get there? Do you enjoy pinching pennies or opening the wallet wide?

We always drive (I love my car, about equally to my plants!) I like to pinch pennies except on food - after we've eaten the snacks I brought in the cooler. A $30 dinner doesn't bother me if it's great, memorable, nice place. We don't use most amenities at a hotel (busy doing cool things nearby) so I like when they are priced separately. Also enjoy camping, where there's only a campfire for producing a meal. Our vacations are always about nature, family & friends, history. (Except when we go adults-only and tie one on in NOLA for a few days!) Not a fan of huge crowds, but once in a while, they're fun to join.

I'm a huge sucker for any "world's largest" and kitsch in general. The weirder it is, the more I want to see it. We went on an epic multi-state journey in June and made a ton of planned and unplanned stops at various places, to see things in person we'd spotted on satellite, and mentioned in reviews on travel forums. Also succumbed to our urges to investigate a couple signs and wander off the beaten path. That's fun stuff, IMO!

Just this past trip, we saw... a statue of "the mothman" in Point Pleasant WV, statue of Arnold Schwarzenegger in Columbus OH, a castle on a dirt road in SE OH and another one in Lexington KY, something called Ave Maria Grotto in north AL, Corvette Museum in Bowling Green KY, Indian cave in central OH, another cave in Horse Cave KY, presidential birthplaces and dwellings, a giant pink elephant (we exited the freeway just to see it, ended up seeing a guy who needed a jump start - what is it about us having the trunk so full that it will barely close that causes us to encounter these folks? - THEIR good luck I suppose,) a live topiary representation of a famous painting by Seurat in Columbus OH, 3-D sidewalk art, covered bridges, variously painted barns. Unforgettable sights!

Comments (15)