SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emmers_m

good books/websites for bug/disease/weed id?

emmers_m
13 years ago

What are your favorite books and websites to identify garden bugs (beneficial, benign or bad), plant diseases or weeds?

I started my garden 2 years ago with a half-garden started in august, then last year I made my first real attempt at it. Overall, I was pretty pleased with my results and the garden this year is shaping up even better. But I've been operating under a policy of ignorance as regards insects, plant diseases and weeds, mainly because I didn't want to overreact to every little bug or brown leaf.

I did of course respond to the biggies - the cabbage worms destroyed my brassicas in the half garden, so now I'm growing under tulle; the SVB took out most of my squashes last year and the pickleworm got the rest, so now I'm trellising moschatas.

But now I think it's time to do some serious research, so what are your favorite resources? (Lots of pictures would be nice, I had a devil of a time identifying the SVB because it looked like a wasp to me, so all the sites that you start out needing to select a type of bug were useless to me.)

Thanks for your help!

~emmers

Comments (3)