SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
irene_dsc

Just received trees - rain forecast

irene_dsc
15 years ago

Quick intro - I have done some research on this forum, but haven't posted. (I mainly hang out at the Cottage forum). I ordered some fruit trees from Cummins Nursery, and they just arrived today. The only problem is, I still need to prepare their planting spots (planning on mound planting), and we have scattered rain and maybe snow forecast for the next few days, with maybe some dry spells in there. Also, I am expecting a big pile of compost delivered on Monday, which is also the first day of spring break for my son (so we figured I'd stay home from work at least part of the time, and work in the yard.)

I know I don't want the trees to dry out before I plant them, but I also don't want to be digging in wet ground. I do have some partially made lasagna beds that could be used for a temporary resting spot (grass clippings and leaves from fall). Dh also suggested putting them in a bucket of potting soil in the basement until we can plant them. (He was home to meet the school bus and called me to let me know they had arrived.) There is only a small chance I could actually prepare the mounds before it starts raining tomorrow around noon (if weather.com is right).

I don't know if it makes any difference in the answers, but there are two apple trees - Liberty & Goldrush on MM111, an apricot and a peach, both semi-dwarf.

Thanks for any advice!

Comments (9)