SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
silversword_gw

How 'natural' is your bathroom?

silversword
15 years ago

Lucky mentioned in the ACV Thread an article that speaks of the dangers of using chemicals on our bodies, for washing and smelling good. One of those mentioned as being harmful was talc powder.

Since I was young my mother advised me not to use it, and I never used it on my daughter either. After looking it up I found that the American Cancer Society says that findings are mixed, but that "A case-control study published in 1997 of 313 women with ovarian cancer and 422 without this disease found that the women with cancer were more likely to have applied talcum powder to their external genital area or to have used genital deodorant sprays. Women using these products had a 50% to 90% higher risk of developing ovarian cancer."

They also found that women who had not had a tubal litigation had a 54% risk of increase. "Because tubal ligation is expected to block external carcinogens from reaching the ovaries via the vagina, uterus, and fallopian tubes, this finding provides some support for the idea that talc is a carcinogen."

My daughter's doctor recommended I not use it on her because the powder can be extremely irritating to her lungs and can cause pneumonia and even death.

There was a study done in 1996 that examined womens ovaries that had been removed for reasons other than cancer and talc powder was found in all of their ovaries, even those who did not use the powder on themselves.

But there was another study done that indicates talc actually reduces cancer growth and decreases the bulk of the tumor.

Basically, it's not a huge danger, and the jury is still out on talc. Potentially it causes cancer, and potentially it can reduce cancer... half dozen either way. If you're worried about it, use cornstarch based products instead.

As for shampoos and other body products, I think consumers should be wary of what is put into their cosmetics. There are numerous studies on the disruption of hormones in women due to phthalates and diethyl phthalate (DEP).

What do you think?

Comments (27)

Sponsored
More Discussions