SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hopefulnovice

Easiest apples and peaches to grow in Maryland?

hopefulnovice
16 years ago

The wealth of knowledge here has been overwhelming - and a little intimidating. After a few weeks of lurking, I know I have made some quite silly mistakes in my tree orders. I am hoping those of you in my area - and especially Jellyman! - might help me correct them.

To make a long story short: we moved from a city to the Maryland countryside, where we are blessed with several acres of land. A sunny, gradual slope seemed to beckon for an orchard - I have always wanted to have a vegetable garden and a few fruit trees. A friend sent me a Trees of Antiquity catalog a few months ago, and I ambitiously and carelessly ordered 5-6 trees that sounded lovely and tasty: Cox Orange Pippen, Ashmead's Kernel, Sptizenburg, Gravenstein, and one with a Polish name that I can't even spell correctly (Niedzwytekna?) And what the heck, I tossed in a few peach trees too - the Snow Beauty and Peregrine sounded such fun.

Having stumbled across this site and read up a bit, it is clear that I am heading for disaster.

Going through again and again, I am having trouble identifying varieties that might be less difficult for a newcomer to this. I say less difficult, because it is now obvious to me that apples are not easy, but there do appear to be some that are substantially more challenging than others.

I have a good heart, wonderful intentions and a certain doggedness - but two small children, a house to take care of and work to do. Should I give up all aspirations to having a few fruit trees? Or are there a few, selective, carefully chosen types that will flourish in Maryland with a novice hand?

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Comments (2)