SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindsgardeninmd

Early-Spring and General Spray Questions for 4-yr old Maryland Orchard

lindsgardeninmd
9 years ago

Hi all,

I planted the following fruit trees in Spring 2012 in my Southern Maryland yard and although the pollination seems to be working great, I think I need to start spraying right away for what I think is Black Spot on pears, possibly Bacterial Spot or Coryneum Blight on the apricot (I think the leaves looked scraggly from shothole and that tree dropped its leaves before the other fruit trees), and bugs (Castleton gets aphids bad every year before the lady larvae demolish them and Japanese Beetles were awful in 2013):

- Apricot - Tomcot (citation rootstock)

- J. Plums - Methley, Satsuma, Shiro

- E. Plum - Castleton (least vigorous of the bunch, even on Myro rootstock . . .)

- Plumcot - Spring Satin

- E. Pears - Potomac, Blake's Pride, Seckel

- A. Pears - 2, can't recall the varieties but they are from Edible Landscaping

*I don't grow any apples, cherries, or peaches.

I just looked at my trees tonight and although the buds are clearly visible, I don't see any green yet so I'm guessing they are in the pre-bud-break stage at the moment. And it is going to be pretty cold this week (lows in the teens and highs in the 20s) so I should have a little time until bud break.

From reading a bunch of old Gardenweb threads where Scott was a major contributor (e.g., http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/1449914/my-orchard-calendar?n=16), it seems that I should:

- Apply dormant oil spray very soon for bug control.

- Apply copper + nuFilm17 sticker solution to all stone fruits since it is more effective against Coryneum Blight and bacterial spot than lime-sulphur spray. (Please let me know if you would recommend a different approach based on updated knowledge . . . some of the threads I was reading were three or more yrs. old.)

Question #1: Would the copper + nuFilm17 sticker solution be effective on the pears against black spot as well??

General Newbie Spray Questions:

Question #2: Does it matter what brand or type of dormant oil I use? I see that Home Depot lists several, including one that is just soybean oil (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Oil-Pharm-1-qt-Organic-Dormant-Oil-Concentrate-OPC00012/205499072).

Question #3: Does it matter what brand of copper spray I use?

Question #4: Anyone have a small sprayer they love? I need to pick one up.

Thank you in advance for your input! I am making my own custom orcharding guide by printing out these threads . . .

-Lind

Comment