SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scioto_gw

Advice needed rejuvenate, graft, apple tree

scioto
11 years ago

Hello I think this is my first time posting on this forum on GW.

I have a old apple tree of unknown variety I would like to rejuvenate.,and change variety. I think it was planted in the 60s. I never had time to prune and take care of it. 2 years ago I tried to thin out the middle and get it back into some type of form. But not very successfully.

I work in construction, and with the economy the way it is, I seem to now have time to mess around the house and yard.

My thought is to bark graft several variates to this tree.
I have watched many youtbe video the last couple days and read a couple old books I have on the subject.
But I still have several questions.

1. Is it better to lop of a large diameter limb and and bark graft a couple of scions on to that horizontal limb, or saddle graft to a vertical water sprout on that limb?

2. If I opt to bark graft a couple scions on to this horizontal branch, does it mater were I should try and place them. Like if looking at the cut off portion of the limb, put one at 12 o clock and one at 6 o clock?

3. I need advise on how to prune and manage these new grafts. (any good links or videos?)My tree has very long horizontal branches, and in my head I see this turning in to kinda shaped like a chandelier. Is that what I want?

4.I know of a tree that had wonderful apples this fall. This tree is neglected and has not been sprayed or pruned in years. I doubt if the owner would let me climb up high into to the tree (its over the top of the house) But I think I could take some water sprouts lower. Would these be good to work with?

5. Does anyone have a suggestion on what some good apple variety's would be for central Ohio?
One that peaked my interest is Hawaii, but there are so many. not a fan of Macintosh's tho.
Also would anyone have scions to trade? I have a small trade list on my page, perhaps comfry (blocking 14)

Thanks In adavnce.

Comments (19)