SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bfreeman_sunset20

Question about interstems-low chill and dwarfs

bfreeman_sunset20
16 years ago

I plan to graft over a few trees this year. What happens if you graft low chill varieties onto high chill varieties, and you are in a low chill area. Ive heard of bad results with higher chill apples in Southern California when multi grafted, but that they do well despite the lack of chill when grown singlely.I am trying to grow cherries in a marginal climate. I have many of the lower chill varieties, including the two new ones from Dave Wilson reputed to fruit with 300 hrs. I had all these trees on standard rootstock, so this winter I got a Lapins on Gisela 5 to find out sooner if I can fruit cherries! So I want to graft a bunch of other varieties onto this tree. Lapins is a higher chill and I hope it doesnt effect the varieties grafted onto it.

I have a dwarf nectarine,Nectarbabe that has horrible tasting fruit, well theyre about like a bad storebought. I plan to graft over some better full flavor varieties. I wonder if it will dwarft the trees or have some other effect. As long as they taste good...

Comments (3)